The Healthy Archive

Natural Health - Fitness - Remedies

Teen Dies From Brain Infection Caused By Eating Undercooked Pork

brain infection, undercooked pork

A teenager in India who ate undercooked pork died after parasitic tapeworms in the meat infected his brain.

The 18-year-old, whose identity hasn’t been made public, had been experiencing seizures, groin pain and swelling over the right eye when he arrived at an emergency room of a hospital in Faridabad, The New York Post reports.

The case was recently reported in the New England Journal of Medicine by doctors Nishanth Dev and S Zafar Abbas of the ESIC Medical College and Hospital outside New Delhi.

An MRI brain scan revealed the patient had cysts throughout his brain, typically found in the life-threatening condition neurocysticercosis, the Daily Mail reports

The World Health Organisation defines neurocysticercosis as a "tapeworm infection of the central nervous system".

Despite doctors' best efforts to save him, the teenager died two weeks later, reports.

People become infected with neurocysticercosis from consuming food that isn't properly cooked (usually pork), drinking water contaminated by tapeworm eggs, or poor hygiene practices.

It is common in Latin America and Asia, and there have been outbreaks in Sub-Saharan Africa.

By Judy Philander, News24

No comments:

Post a Comment